The UK is famous for the NHS and with it providing accessible and excellent healthcare services to those living in the country. Some migrants may have to pay a levy when relocating which still provides excellent value for those times when you will require those services.
The NHS does provide a great service and to take out private healthcare insurance can be an expensive exercise and should be considered a luxury, so this is a decision you need to judge for yourself. The benefit of taking out healthcare insurance is that some policies will give you access to exclusive drugs, with some medical conditions access to faster treatment (which can save you money if it means you can return to your profession faster) and also more appealing healthcare accommodation and services if privately insured.
If you do look at taking out private health insurance this is what you need to consider
- Use comparison websites such as Compare the Market or Confused to get a benchmark on pricing. It can also be worth contacting a broker to provide specialist advice and get quotes. The AMII is a great place to source a potential broker
- Be aware of what the medical insurance covers and doesn't cover (Pre existing conditions are unlikely to be covered)
- Healthcare premiums will go up annually....provided you dont have any pre existing conditions be prepared to shop around and change providers to save money at renewal time.
- You can save money on your premium by paying an excess but this is also an individual call of what you are prepared to pay.
- You can save money with a pick and mix type policy where you start with a basic level insurance and add what you need/want.
- Some insurers will charge less if you can demonstrate a healthy lifestyle.
Make sure you do your due dilligence when looking at insurance providers but feel comfort knowing the NHS really is excellent so if you decide not to take up medical insurance you will have access to a good level of healthcare.
The best places in London to get that all important picture for your Insta page!
We've compiled a list of all the new places that have opened in London, and don't worry we'll keep updating it so you are in the loop!
Feeling the heatwave and just fancy a swim? No worries – check out our top outdoor swimming spots in London below…
Explore the West End and see some of the best bars and pubs in London with our West End pub crawl. The perfect evening experience for visitors to London
Are you missing your pets from home?....Do you need an animal fix?....This is our guide to finding it in London.